6/1/13

MODAL VERBS

Can : Ability


 Subject          Can          Base Form

1) I can work hard.
2) You can call me any time.
3) She can't sing.
4) I can't help you right now.
5) Can you meet me tomorrow?
6) Can he speak English?


Could : ( past form of can )


Subject          Could          Base Form

1) I could swim earlier.
2) She could pass the exam.
3) I couldn't bring the umbrella. 
4) She couldn't come to work yesterday.
5) Could you speak English those days?


Should : (advice )


Subject          should          Base Form

1) I should learn well.
2) You should listen to your parents.
3) You shouldn't argue with your elder brother.
4) You shouldn't drink too much beer.
5) Should I sign here?
6) Should I come tomorrow for work?


 Must / ought to : ( obligation )

Subject          must / ought to         Base Form

1) I must do something for this.
2) I ought to do something for this.
2) You must remove shoes when you enter the building.
3) You mustn't go out without permission.



May / Might : ( Probability )
 Subject          may / might          Base Form

1) He may come tomorrow.But, I am not sure of that.
2) It may rain today evening.
3) He may not come to work today.


Can I / Could I / May I : Asking Permission

1)  Can I have a word with you?

2) Can I call you later?
3) Can I have some water?
4) Can I know your name?
5) Can I come in?
6) Could I speak to your boss?
7) May I come in?
8) may I go home now?

Can you / Could you /Will you / Would you : request

1) Can you do me a small favour?
2) Can you help me?
3) Can you call me later?
4) Will you open the door please?
5) Would you come with me?





No comments: