6/1/13

PREPOSITIONS





 in, on, at (time)



We u   in  - for months / years /centuries and long periods

                on  -for days and dates

                 at - for a precise time



At                                         On                             In

At 3 o’ clock                  on Tuesday                  in May 

At 10.30 am                   on the 26th                 in Summer

At noon                          on Wednesdays           in 1990

At bed time                                                         in the 1990s

At sunrise                                                            in the next century

At the moment                                                   in the past / future



Ex: I have a meeting at 9 am.            Do you work on Monday?

       The shop closes at midnight        It often snows in December



Standard expressions


At night                     on Tuesday morning                        in the morning

At the weekend       on Saturday mornings                    in the mornings

At Christmas            on Sunday afternoon                        in the afternoon(s)

At the same time     on my birthday                                in the evening(s)

At present                on Christmas day                             in the future/past/in a while /moment



*When we say last, next, every, this we do not also use at, in, on


Ex: I went to Kandy last June
        He is coming back next Tuesday
        I go home everyday
       He will call you this evening



Other prepositions of Time


After- after school, ago-6 years ago, before- before next month, between-between Monday and Friday, by-by Thursday, during-during the holidays, For-for three weeks, from ... to-from Monday to Wednesday, ,since-since Monday, till/until- till tomorrow, up to-up to six hours a day, within-within a day


......................................................................................


in, on, at ( place )

 We use            in-for an enclosed space

                         on-for a surface

                         at -for a point



At                                                   On                                        In

At the corner                           on the wall                    in the garden

At the bus stop                        on the ceiling                in London

At the door                              on the door                   in a box

At the top of the page             on the cover                  in a car

At the end of the road            on the floor                   in my wallet

At the entrance                       on a page                       in a building

At the front desk                    on the menu



Ex: She is waiting for you at the bus stop
        You  are standing on my foot

        Do you work in an office?





Standard expressions

at                                        in                                         on

at home                      in a car /by car                  on a bus/by bus

at work                      in a taxi/by taxi                 on a train

at school                    in a helicopter                     on a plane

at university             in a boat                               on a ship

at college                   in a lift                                  on a bicycle/motorbike/by bike

at the top                  in the newspaper                on a horse/ an elephant

at the bottom           in the sky                             on the radio/ on television

at the side                 in a row                                on the left/on the right

at reception              in oxford street                   on the way



Other prepositions of place

In front of , over /above, under/below, behind, next to/behind/by, among, between, by


.................................................................................................



Prepositions of movement



To             movement to a specific distance 
                  ex- I went to the Zoo

Through  movement from one side of a given space to the other
                 ex-River flows through the tunnel

Along       movement from one end of a given oblong surface to the other 
                 ex-She ran along the road

Over         movement above a given space 
                 ex- It flew over the mountain

Across      movement from one side of a surface to another
                  ex- They went across the meadow

Into          talking about an inward movement 
                  ex- Knife went deep into the body

Off            movement directed away from a given surface 
                 ex-The book fell off the shelf



Arrive at    with activities, buildings and general locations
                    Ex- The bus arrive at the station

Arrive in    with countries, states and cities 
                    Ex- When do you arrive in Colombo



*Prepositions are not used with the following locations and destinations

Overseas, abroad, inside, outside, here, there, home, downtown, upstairs, downstairs, where




More prepositional phrases


On holiday/ on business / on a trip / on a tour – He is on holiday (but go to a place for a holiday)


On television/ on the radio – I don’t watch news on television, but I listen on the radio


On the phone- I am not on the phone


On strike- The railway workers are on strike


On diet –You have put on a lot of weight. You have to go on a diet


On fire- Look! The car is on fire


On the whole- Sometimes I have some problems at work. But on the whole I enjoy it


On purpose- I am sorry. I didn’t mean to annoy you. I didn’t do it on purpose



In the rain / in the sun / in the dark/ in the shade/ in bad weather

We sat in the shade/ It was too hot to sit in the sun / Don’t go out in the rain

In ink/in pencil – in exams, you are not allowed to write in pencil


In order –Everything is in order


In words/in figures/in block letters- Please fill in the form in block letters


In cash- I paid the bill in cash / but I paid by credit card


In love (with somebody)- Have you ever been in love with anybody?


In my opinion – In my opinion, the film was not good



At the age of / at the speed of / at the temperature of-  He left school at the age of sixteen/ The car was travelling at the speed of 80 miles an hour/ Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.


at first  /at last / at most / at least / at all / at times / at once / at any rate

By post /by hand- Do something by hand


By cheque / by credit card- Can I pay by credit card. No you have to pay in cash


By mistake/ by accident/ by chance – We hadn’t arranged to meet. We met by chance


by car/by train/ by boat/ by plane /by ship/ by bus /on foot

by road / by sea/ by air /by rail /by car(but  in my car)    

by train(but  on the train)
Do you prefer to travel by air or by train?
They didn’t come in their car. They came in a taxi
We travelled on the 6.45 train
  

By name /by now-  I don’t know him by name / the shop might have been closed by now


By somebody / something – he has bitten by a dog / the programme was watched by millions of people / I did it by myself /

 The door must have been open by somebody with a key

Have you read any books by Martin? 
Our salaries have increased by one thousand rupees



For now / for instance / for example / for sale /for the moment / for a while/for a better or worse/For a walk /for a run/ for a swim



From now on / from bad to worse / from my point of view / from what I understand



Under age / under control / under guarantee

 Without fail / without notice       Out of work ( without a job)

No comments: