7/15/13

Daily Conversation 16



This is because

Seetha
There are no many buses on the road. I think this is because yesterday was a holiday.
Geetha
I think you are right. We will have to wait for ages
Seetha
There are a lot people in the town. I think this is because the previous days were holidays
Geetha
You are absolutely right. The shops had been closed those days

This is because - The reason is this



Grammar tips .....

Reported Speech

.....................................


A) Reported speech: Commands and Requests

My wife “Clean the house”
My wife told me to clean the house.


      Teacher “Do your homework”
Teacher told me to do my homework.


      She “Please dance with me”
She asked me to dance with her.


      My sister “ Please bring me a cup of tea ”
My sister asked me to bring her a cup of tea.



.....................................




B) Reported speech: simple statements

(If the sentence starts in the past, there is often back shift of tenses in reported speech

We use a 'reporting verb' like 'say' or 'tell'. If this verb is in the present tense, it's easy. We just put 'she says' and then the sentence: direct speech: “I like ice cream” reported speech: She says she likes ice cream)

Back shift of tenses

Simple present- simple past               Simple past-past perfect
Present perfect –past perfect            Past perfect –past perfect
Will – would                                           Am/is/are – was/were
Has been – had been                            Had been –had been

1)      Peter “ I work in the garden”
Peter said that he worked in the garden

2)      Peter “I worked in the garden”
Peter said that he had worked in the garden

3)      Peter “ I will work in the garden”
Peter said that he would work in the garden

4)      Peter “I have worked in the garden”
Peter said that he had worked in the garden

5)      Peter “I had worked in the garden”
Peter said that he had worked in the garden

6)      Peter “ I will have worked in the garden”
Peter said that I would have worked in the garden

7)      Peter “ I am working in the garden”
Peter said that he was working in the garden

8)      Peter “ I was working in the garden”
Peter said that he had been working in the garden

9)      Peter “ I will be working in the garden”
Peter said that he would be working in the garden

10)  Peter “I have been working in the garden”
Peter said that he had been working in the garden



Shifting of expressions of time

This evening –that evening               Today –that day

Now –then                                             A week ago – a week before

Yesterday – the day before              Tomorrow- the following day

Here –there


.....................................


C) Reported questions


(In Reported speech there is no question anymore, the sentence becomes a statement)


Question without question words (yes/no questions):

1) Peter: Do you play football?
     Peter asked me whether (if) I  played football.


2) Teacher: "Are you a student?
     He asked if I was a student


3) She: Do you like me?
     She asked me whether I liked her.


4) He: Did you go to temple
     He asked me whether I had gone to temple


5) Mother: Will you come tomorrow
     Mother asked me whether I would come    tomorrow


Question with question words:

  1) Peter: "When do you play football?”
       Peter asked me when I played football


  2)Teacher: what is your name
      Teacher asked me what my name was


  3) He: where are you going
       He asked me where I was going


  4) She: what do you want
       she asked me what I wanted


  5) Mother: What were you doing
       Mother asked me what I had been doing
 



No comments: