Daily Conversation 9
I am in two minds
Seetha
|
I am really in two minds
about what to do when I leave school. Should I straight go to university?
|
Geetha
|
Well. I think you should go to university. University life will make you a prefect person.
|
Seetha
| I understand what you say. But, I feel like doing a job. |
Geetha
|
Don't be foolish. You are still very young and you have enough time for your studies. |
I am in two minds - I can't come to a decision.
I feel like doing something - I have an intention to do something
Grammar tips.....
All/ all of
, most / most of , No / none of
All
|
some
|
any
|
most
|
much/many
|
little/few
|
no
|
- All cars have wheels
- Some cars can go faster than others
- Many people drive too fast
- I am at home most days
- Most tourists don’t visit this part of the house
- No cars allowed
- Much water is needed
All
|
some
|
any
|
most
|
Much/many
|
little/few
|
half
|
none
|
We can
use these words in the box with of
All of,
some of, any of, most of, half of, none of …………… the/this/these/that/those/
my/your
1
Some of the people I work with are not very friendly
2
None of this money is mine
3
Have you read any of these books?
4
I spent most of the day in bed
You don’t need of with all and half
All of my friends live in Colombo
(All my friends live in Colombo)
Half of this money is mine. Half
this money is mine
Comparison
1
All
flowers are beautiful – (general)
- All of the flowers in this garden are beautiful – (specific)
- Most problems have solutions – (general)
- Most of the problems we had didn’t have solutions
We can use all of, some of, none
of etc + it/ us/you/them
1. How
many of these people do you know? None
of them, a few of them
2
Do any of you want to come to the party tonight?
3
Do you like this music? Some of it, not all of it
4
All of us were late. (not all us)
5
I haven’t finished the book yet. I have only read half of it ( not half
it)
We can also use some/most etc
alone without a noun
1
Some cars have four door while some have two
2
A few of the shops were open but most were closed
3
Half this money is mine and half is yours
Both
/ Both of, neither /neither of, either / either of
We use both, neither, either for
two things
- Neither restaurant is expensive
- Both restaurants are very good
- We can go to either restaurant. I don’t mind
We use
both of, neither of, either of the
/these / my/ Tom’s
- Both of the restaurants are very good
- Neither of the restaurants we went are not expensive
- I haven’t been to either of the restaurants
Both of
my parents are from London. (Both my parents are from London)
- We can use both of, neither of, either of + us/you/them
- Can either of you speak English?
- Neither of them could help me
- Both of us were very tired ( not both us)
We can
use both / neither /either alone. Without a noun
- I could decide which of the two shirts to buy. I liked both
- Are you Mary or Sara? Neither. I am Julia
- Do you want tea or coffee? Either. I don’t mind
No comments:
Post a Comment